Optical illusions are something that will always leave you questioning your eyesight. We all know the classic eye trick with a young girl turning into an old lady portrait or sets of geometric figures which turn out to be different sizes than they appeared at first glance, but how do these images work? There is more than one type and classification for this phenomenon--optical (related primarily through color tricks), physiological (distorted perspective), cognitive [space distortion].
By looking at an image, our brains try to relate it with the most basic and close interpretation. But let's take time for further consideration of details in this process--such as separate pieces not making sense or being too inconsistent throughout the whole picture despite having standard features between them. There may be some trickery going on!
An optical illusion drawing will cause no harm nor permanent damage due to its nature being temporary (only surprising us). However, it's also important when viewing these types of images because they can help develop complex problem-solving skills while teaching yourself unexpected insights about what you see by analyzing each part individually.
01. When You Can't Find Your Sandwich
02. These Espresso Martinis Look Like Bar Stools
03. Capybara Looks Like It's Wearing Clothes Due To Reflection
04. Fooled Me
05. The Flying Catmobile
06. Floating Cat?
07. I was Taking A Picture Of My Horse Yawning And Suddenly... Xenomorph Horse
08. Hula Hoops In Your Coffee
09. Found The Eye Of Sauron While Wine Tasting
10. What In The World!
11. Dog On Bear Blanket
12. I Swear There's Four Of Us
13. Long Dog With A Section Missing
14. The Reflection From The Street Lamps Makes This VW Bug Look Like It Has Cartoon Eyes
15. Cat Illusion
16. Thought They Were Miming Their Awards
17. New Breed Guys!
18. Dog Reading A Pamphlet On The Bus
19. Already Tall (7ft Or More) Friend Accidentally Takes Optical Illusion Photo
20. When I Opened The Trunk, I Freaked Out Thinking Someone had Stole The Cover And The Spare Tire. Then I Remembered That I Bought A Mirror
21. Nice Shot
22. Never Skip Arm Day
23. The Headless Doggo
24. Floating Above A Manhole
25. Just My Dad And His Dog
26. Usual Wedding
27. Truck Looks Like It Has A Possum Logo
28. Young Girl Posing With A Bag Of Popcorn
29. My Sister's Hand Passing Through My Cat's Body
30. It Is Important To Have Your Own View Of The World
31. The Reflection Of The Lamp Gives My Glasses Eyeballs
32. Video Won't Play
33. Standing Up
34. Checking In On My Cats, I Thought One Grew A Lot Bigger And The Other A Lot Smaller
35. Longest Finger?
36. I Found This Picture Of Friends
37. Intriguing Read
38. Those Trees Though
39. So Good
40. Hotel Hallway Makes Her Look Tiny
41. Laughed So Hard At Myself, I Figured I Can't Keep This From The World
42. All Hail Mighty Cat, Ruler Of The Heavens And The Earth
43. Little Pup
44. Grinch Remake
45. The Reflection Of The Lamp On The Sunglasses
46. Pic Of Two Plump Pigeons Perched On The Ledge But Ended Up Getting A Picture Of Two Massive Pigeons Looking For Their Car
47. Bert From Sesame Street Spotted On The Street
48. I Thought 8 Pigeons Were Staring At Me Menacingly
49. Out Of Boredom, I Tried To Take A Photo Of A My Sink Draining, I Got A Photo Of An Eye Shaped Whirlpool Instead
50. My Dogs Appear To Have Merged This Morning
So which one of these optical illusions made you do a double take? We're always amazed by the illusions that completely trick our eyes, and it seems like each new one is better than the last. Share your favorite in the comments below – we'd love to hear what tricks your brain can play!